Summary of Action Steps at State Level
- Provide Proper Supervision On Playgrounds
- Design Age-Appropriate Playgrounds
- Provide Proper Surfacing Under and Around Playground Equipment
- Keep Playground Equipment Properly Maintained
Actions to Provide Proper Supervision On Playgrounds:
- Distribute information concerning the development of good supervisory practices on playgrounds.
- Help educate the public about the importance of playground supervision plans.
- Advocate the use of good supervisory practices on playgrounds.
- Disseminate information regarding different methods of supervision.
- Train individuals in safe supervision methods.
- Provide information about playground supervision in university/college curricula.
- Distribute information about how to improve supervisory methods.
- Promote the idea of enhancing playground supervision to prevent injuries.
- Initiate research into effective supervisory practices on playgrounds.
Actions to Design Age-Appropriate Playgrounds:
- Distribute the CPSC Handbook through State professional organizations.
- Advocate the adoption of the CPSC Handbook by local agencies.
- Educate local communities with the assistance of insurance carriers about the importance of age-appropriate playgrounds.
- Support local efforts in selecting age-appropriate equipment.
- Provide information about the developmental characteristics of children, safety guidelines and age-appropriate design criteria.
- Provide information about age-appropriate design on playgrounds in courses at colleges and universities.
- Provide ongoing education and technical assistance to various constituent groups.
- Monitor local agencies' accident reports.
- Conduct research concerning the layout, design and play value of age-appropriate playgrounds.
Actions to Provide Proper Fall Surfacing Under and Around Playground Equipment:
- Disseminate surfacing evaluation criteria.
- Educate the public that asphalt, cement, dirt and grass are unsafe for use under playground equipment.
- Advocate the use of CPSC Handbook for the systematic evaluation of playground surfaces.
- Issue a periodic "report card" concerning the issue of safe playground surfaces.
- Advocate the use of safe playground surfacing materials.
- Distribute information about safe surfaces.
- Advocate the annual review of surface injury data by local agencies.
- Create partnerships to conduct research on various aspects of surfacing materials.
Actions to Keep Playground Equipment Properly Maintained:
- Initiate studies on maintenance requirements for various pieces of equipment.
- Advocate the development and implementation of playground maintenance policies and procedures.
- Require local agencies to assess their playgrounds for compliance with safety guidelines and standards.
- Ensure that local agencies and organizations have a viable maintenance plan on file.
- Promote educational workshops and seminars on proper maintenance practices.
- Educate the public regarding the evolving standards of proper care and maintenance of playground equipment and surfacing.
- Promote the importance of maintaining safe playgrounds.
- Provide information about playground maintenance in appropriate college/university curricula.
- Conduct research on maintenance procedures and inspections.